Search This Blog

Sunday, July 6, 2014

For My Friend

This work is a gift for a friend on the occasion of her 70th birthday.  Last year, for my 60th, she honored me with a generous gift certificate to one of my favorite local bead shops.  I wanted to return the favor.

My friend is intelligent, a voracious reader, and loves opera.  She is a mother to feline fur children, currently, a tabby named Holly. She plays bridge, and is a loyal companion.  She owned a cabin in Wisconsin, and that was the part of her that spoke to me, in this design.  Oh, and have I mentioned, she is a private person, and I respect that.  No names.


I wanted to return to my roots, and produce an entirely woven piece for her, and chose this jasper because it feels like a Wintery Wisconsin woods sunset to me.  It is either Cherry (sometimes called Red) Creek Jasper, or maybe Picasso Jasper. I have had it a long time, and do not remember where I bought it.  It has a nice polish, and because of this, I am going to guess, Utah Picasso.  I am fairly sure some of the supporting beads are Cherry Creek from China, judging both by their matte finish, and the not quite perfect drilling that China seems to be famous for.  I chose this stone, both because of its outdoor imagery, and because the beautiful silvery gray in the stone is very close to the color of my friend's hair.


Since as we age, dexterity dimishes, I wanted to make the work easy to wear, and especially, because my friend lives alone, with no one to fasten a lobster claw for her.  I used  hidden magnets to close the back of the necklace.


I created a delicate pair of earrings, as she is a small woman with delicate features.  The bracelet is also closed with a magnetic foldover clasp.


I had to ask her for a wrist measurement, since the oval beads will not lay flat unless the bracelet fits snugly and even though she has said "no gifts" she did oblige me.  I am sure she knows what I am up to, but I hope she will accept my gift in the same way I accepted hers; as an act of love, support, and celebration of life well-lived.  Happy Birthday!

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful set of gifts to honor your friend. Very lovely as your work always is. Any chance you would show us the back of the pendant? I appreciate seeing how elegantly you finish your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dang! You know I was proud of the back of the pendant, but didn't take a picture. So sorry! Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  2. I 'm sure she will be very happy with this gorgeous set

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did like it! Even said she would wear it and suggested it would look good on a black turtleneck. Which indeed, I think it would! Thank you. :)

      Delete
  3. I love your piece in every way, and to know the story is even better. you chose the accent beads very tastefully. Brava!

    ReplyDelete