Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lemonade from Lemons

I did start with a sketch.  But not a very detailed one.  This lilac necklace idea was so exciting I really didn't want to spend time in two dimensions with it.  I wanted to get right to the 3D part I love!  So although I thought about color, I didn't ever sketch in color.  I think that would have changed my mind, but hindsight is always 20/20.  If I had REALLY considered how busy this piece would be with 4 colors, TONS of texture, frenetic lines, and complex shapes, I'd have RE-considered.  But I didn't.


I didn't enter Bead Dreams last year because I was involved in a complex and time consuming piece with Hannah Rosner for the ISGB exhibit Convergence II, Adorning the Past, Present and Pretend.  So this year, I thought the time was ripe to collect a second rejection letter, and I planned to do that with the lilac piece I had envisioned.  Somehow, my day job got really busy.  So I worked in fits and bits and starts, assembling parts and making components, without ever laying them all out together to see how I was doing.  That would have helped too.

I arrived at the end of March with 72 4-petaled lilac flowerettes in three colors, 9 lilac leaves in various sizes and two different neckstraps, neither of which I was in love with.  The little flowerettes and leaves reminded me of my son's video game, Pikmin.  They seemed to flock on my bench like the little "floral militia" commanded by Captain Olimar.  If you have seen this game, I bet you know exactly what I mean.

Unfortunately, when I assembled the three colors of flowerettes into blossoms and laid them out together it was painfully obvious that that multi-colored blossoms were an unfortunate choice. There was way too much going on. (Note to self, next time, sketch in color!!!)

But all was not lost. There was the Etsy Beadweavers April challenge, with the serendipitous theme, "Spring Around the Corner" on the horizon, and I could take one of pretty awesome  blossoms and make a simpler necklace. So I put one together, using the least disliked neckstrap, but drat, I just didn't like that strap, (see the little ripple on the left side where it does not want to lay flat?) plus the blossom was not proportionately long enough.
So I listed it, because I know I am obsessive-compulsive and fairly hard on myself, and it wasn't terrible. It had potential for greatness. :o)  And then I began a race with the clock to make a new neckstrap I could like, and a longer blossom configuration, requiring several more flowerettes.  And, pwhew, at 10:30 ish on the evening of the 5th of April, minutes before the entry deadline, I posted the new piece, and I am SO happy with it.  And best of all, I can now make two more, a lovely pink one, and a pale lilac one.  Lemonade from lemons!




26 comments:

  1. I love it, Marsha! It is simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd take a sip of that lemonade! I have so many abandoned pieces in my project graveyard specifically because I didn't do the necessary pre-planning. I feel your pain there. But that final piece is very beautiful and I'm glad you are so happy with it.

    Good luck with the competition!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous, can almost smell it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marcy and Olga! And Kate, it's always good to know we are not alone, and that our struggles are universal. I feel kinda blessed to be able to recognize when I have gone wrong. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so in love with your flocks of blossoms!!! And in awe of your leaves, as well, I am SO not good with making leaves that look like leaves! Your shaping is gorgeous. I lovelovelove how everything turned out for you, and am looking forward to seeing the two new colorways for this incredible design!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That piece is gorgeous, Marsha! All of your hard work definitely paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are beginning to learn!!! Everything can be used for something!!!

    Your necklace is gorgeous and I expect the two colorways to come will be just as beautiful!!

    I'm sorry to hear that you did not get to enter the Bead Dreams contest, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a beautiful necklace, Marsha. And thank you so much for sharing the ups and downs of the design process. It really is a demanding task; when the results are as glorious as this, it's quite a rewarding one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are all so generous with you comments! Thanks a MILLION!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's quite lovely. I have a large piece that I have been working on for about 9 months. I know how you feel, getting the various elements done and then assembling them. I am doing almost the same thing except I am getting some elements finished, assembling them then going and making more elements, assembling... etc. I think I am very nearly finished...

    I hope. :)

    Patricia C Vener
    http://vener-art.com/beadblog/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am awe struck at the design & color...wish I could actually see & smell a REAL lilac one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the outcome of all this Marsha. Perhaps with your leftover lilac parts and my abandoned octopus project we can collaborate in an underwater garden necklace?:))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Patricia, Sylvia, and Robin! Kinga, maybe your octopus parts will become an octopus, or maybe like me, you'll find they have multiplied, and you'll have EIGHT new pieces. My pink lilac necklace is almost done, and I have an idea for the lavender one, so the underwater garden idea, while delightful, will have to wait! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you found a way to make it just perfect! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello,Marscha :)
    I am very pleased that you visited my blog.I have admired your beautiful,masterpice work for a long time.Thank,you very much for your kind words about my necklace.I appreciate it !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so STUNNING it aught to be illegal!!

    Sig

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in total awe. That is the most amazing piece of artwork I've ever seen! And yes, I say 'artwork' because that word is TOTALLY warranted right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG that is absolutely gorgeous! I am in love. I LOVE lilac flower and this looks just like you have hung a bloom from a beaded necklace. Have you made a tutorial for it? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I have promised myself before the end of the year that I will begin making tutorials, and I think this should be the first. Thanks for your kind comments!

      Delete
  19. This has always been one of my favorite necklaces that you have done....so spring oriented. love them all.
    Coral Tuttle Egelund

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Coral. Then you might be pleased to know that I have re-attempted this idea on a different scale and orientation for my Bead Dreams piece for this year. I cannot wait to show everyone!!

      Delete
  20. Oh wow Marsha. I cannot wait to see it. I love this one xxx

    ReplyDelete