Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Eighty Seventh Birthday Necklace

My mother will be 87 on April 4th, Easter Sunday. She's in good shape. No serious illness, very few medications, lives in her own home, (although my sister lives in the basement) and is generally cheerful when I talk to her. I live over 1000 miles away from her, so don't see her more than once a year, and I never know what to get her on gift giving occasions. She claims there is nothing she needs, which I can understand. But she does seem to like the beadweavings I have done for her in the past. And my sister gave me a couple cabochons for Christmas, and mentioned that Mom was especially partial to one of them. So, I spent this week making her an eighty seventh birthday necklace.

I have no idea what this stone might be. It's not something I would have chosen, but I was happy to know she liked it, and bezeled it in cylinders, and then added a second layer of seed beads. Then I fringed it, modeling it after a piece in my Etsy shop called "Marigold Glade." She is not one to go out much anymore, except to church on Sunday morning, Church Circle and Bible Study groups, and to visit her 90 year old sister, but I hope she will find at least a few opportunities to wear it. She is not technologically savvy, so I am quite sure she will not see this post, but if you do, Mom, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. You are a wonderful parent, and beautiful of soul and spirit. I love you.  And a huge thank you to my brother Jeff, who provided this photo of my mom in her 87th Birthday Necklace!

8 comments:

  1. Your mom can be proud of your work, and it's stunning. The color is beautiful, one of your best pieces.
    Hope your mother has a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such elegance - your Mom will be so happy to wear this, I am sure. How wonderful that she has such longevity!! I am so happy to hear that she is cheerful and still gets about so well. Happy Birthday to your Mom, and congratulations on another beautiful piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful cabochon treatment! I especially am intrigued by the little bell shaped dangles. Your mom is surely going to make up reasons to go out just so she can wear it.

    Patricia C Vener
    http://vener-art..com/beadblog/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much ladies! She is pretty special, and I am lucky to have her in my life. Those little dangles are resin, and I think vintage. I would maybe date they from the late 50's or maybe early 60'S. Just guessing tho.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful piece - I'm sure she'll be proud to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure your mother will have a very happy birthday after she sees the beautiful necklace you made er. I love the color- I can see why she liked the cab.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This necklace is gorgeous. Hope she appreciates it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely piece indeed! I love the way it looks on your mother too.

    ReplyDelete